Thursday, August 23, 2012

Delícia! And my inspiration for the day...

Delícia is one of my favorite words here. Most commonly it describes a beautiful day. According to the dictionary delightful would be the literal translation, but I think I like it so much because it sounds a lot like delicious. You could describe a day as delightful in English, but if you described it as delicious, how great a day would THAT be?!

And I'm finally getting used to the word shopping as a noun. The word shopping has been adopted into the Brazilian lexicon to mean mall

Let's go shopping at the mall. = Vamos fazer compras no shopping.  Where no does not mean no, but is a contraction of em + o (in+the or at+the).  Also tricky!

In an unrelated story, I was sitting in a waiting room this afternoon when out of the doctor's office came an elderly woman accompanied by another lady, presumably her daughter. Her back was so bent over as she walked that the top half of her body was nearly at a 90° angle with the lower half of her body. After a few moments of waiting to speak to the receptionist, she started chatting it up with another lady that she recognized in the room. And I mean CHATTING it up, with such a jolly, clear, opposite-of-frail voice! Their conversation was peppered with laughter. I was looking at my book, but read nothing as I focused on her words and tried to figure out what she was saying. (I didn't have much luck there, but she did sound like she may have been from Rio once upon a time based on her accent.) And I couldn't help but smile; in fact I was a little sad when she walked out the door. After she left, the woman she was talking to told me the woman was 86 years old and still did almost everything for herself (at least that's what I think she said). With her back bent the way it was, I imagine it must be pretty difficult to do things herself. But you wouldn't know it by the tone of her voice. The way she was carrying on she made ME feel old - I'm 38!

3 comments:

  1. Jessica,

    I hear you on the word "delicia". I am so Americanized now that I was cringe when I hear them using it, for example, look a my new car and say "QUE DELICIA!!!" What! You are saying my car is delicious!!
    Or I am going to Europe on vacation, QUE DELICIA! Oh, how delicious!!
    In my Americanized brain, "delicious" is/should be used for things that you can taste, or smell or feel.
    I will have some serious re-adapting when I get back home... :)


    Abracos
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray, I was wondering if it could also be used to describe those things... I hadn't noticed it in conversation yet. Thanks for the examples. :o)

      Delete
  2. You are not old :) At least that's what I'm going with since I'm older than you. Older people always fascinate me, I always think of all the change that they have seen in their lifetime - you understood 100% more than I would have.

    ReplyDelete